4.27.2008

bad parenting?

You decide :) My vote is that this mom rocks and people should lay off! She's not telling YOU how to parent, she's just doing her best and probably enabling her son to actually be a responsible and mature member of society. Just one opinion among millions.




PARENTING
Helicopter Moms vs. Free-Range Kids
A New York columnist lets her grade-schooler ride the subway alone, provoking a wave of criticism. But do kids really need more supervision than in generations past?
By Louise Crawford Special to Newsweek
Apr 21, 2008 Updated: 1:38 p.m. ET Apr 21, 2008


5 comments:

~*Spindelicious Handspun*~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

This article definitely makes you think... I'd like to think I fall somewhere in the middle of "free range" and "helicopter." I think the author says it best in the top portion of page 3, that it really depends on the kid and the environment they are in. Every kid, every family, every environment is different and requires a "different" way to approach life.

katieoz said...

lisa...i totally agree! Definitely very situational. I can only hope that I have the ability to see what my kid can/can't handle and to allow them to grow to their full potential. I don't want to stifle my kids nor do I want to let them do whatever they want. It's all about balance right? :)

~*Spindelicious Handspun*~ said...

Thanks doll!
Wh-wha? I never got any little chat thingy! (runs off to check)...

~*Spindelicious Handspun*~ said...

I don't know about her mothering skills, but I DO know that she nees to get that kid a haricut before he starts getting teased for looking like Bozo the Clown.

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting