4.18.2009

Rehab


I quit Facebook. Cold turkey, baby. Okay, well, granted I did "quit" before all this, for Lent. I think some people think it's really weird that I observed Lent. I never have before. But this year, I personally felt like this was something I needed to do. So I gave up my primary means of connection to people in the outside world, whilst living my suburban life with no real familiar folks around me to "really" connect with on a daily (hourly, millisecondly) basis. I gave it up for Lent...and...I lived.

But then...I came back. And I felt SO overwhelmed. I still can't quite go into all of it because I don't have a clear articulation of what transpired in my relationship with Facebook the past few days. We broke up. Well, I dumped Facebook. And in the lead up to it, I (surprisingly) experienced quite strong reactions regarding my decision to leave. I was actually going to wait until Sunday night (I dunno why I decided on Sunday) to hit "delete", but today I just couldn't take it anymore. I deleted myself off of Facebook today and as a fellow addict said, "erased myself from modern existence". Let me tell you something...IT FELT SO GOOD! haha :) Most of you are probably saying, "Geesh, that girl really had a problem." And you'd be right. I'm sure I'll still go through withdrawls but I think I'll make it.

I wanted to type up a big post with my thoughts about Facebook, my relationship with it and the reason(s) behind the demise of our relationship. But. I don't think I'm going to. And that's all there is.

5 comments:

miranda said...

I don't think it's bad that you did. I am just horrible at the staying in touch thing. It is my only link to some of these people from my past. (and future). Maybe someday, but not for now. I am glad however that you will still have this. It helps a lot!. I love reading about little Claire and the adventures of your family. I'm so glad we found each other again, it has been nice getting to know the "grown up" you.

katieoz said...

I definitely understand, keeping in touch is not something I'm great at either. It's just not super possible to keep in constant touch with a million people. I don't really want to keep in touch with a million people though...exhausting. Thank goodness for blogs though! It's a good way to update, interact, but only every now and then. I likey! I love reading your blog, messaging to one another and connecting with grown-up Miranda! We will see each other again someday, and we'll have Facebook/Myspace to thank for that :)

Jessi said...

I know that I have to make myself turn off Facebook (and the computer). It is so addicting!! I admire you for canceling your account.

miranda said...

indeed :)!

katieoz said...

It actually didn't take as much "strength" as I thought it would. After being away for a month and a half and then coming back...something just *snapped* and it was like I couldn't stand being on it anymore. Though, I am on the computer, in general, way too much of the time!

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting