5.21.2009

Beware letting your baby hold the car keys....

Claire locked me out of the car after a shopping trip to Trader Joe's, a couple days ago. Yeah, that's the last time I let her play with my keys. I got her all strapped in, reached over to grab a bag of groceries, the door accidentally swung shut and she bit the lock button. Smiling the whole time. My cell phone was also locked inside.

Thankfully, I hailed the help of several strangers. One man let me call my husband (who didn't have a spare key...that was also locked in the car! oy!) and ask him to call a locksmith. Then I hailed another guy to go and ask any of the Trader Joe's staff if they knew how to break into a car (the door was every so slightly open, but still latched). The staff were awesome, so friendly, offering any help they could (cell phones, an umbrella, company) and one staffer came out with a HUGE metal wire thingy and tried to hit the unlock button in the car. Thankfully the locksmith was very speedy about getting to me and it was all resolved within 45 minutes.

All the while, Claire was giggling and having a great time. She thought I was playing peekaboo everytime I put my face up to the tinted window to see how she was.

Needless to say, she doesn't get to hold my keys anymore.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Ahhhh! That is my nightmare!!! So glad it wasn't a really hot day...of course then you could've called 911 and cops have a thing to get car doors open in a flash. Claire could've gotten her goose cooked! You OK?

Katie Fleming said...

Oh wow! How scary for you guys!!! But thankfully Claire didn't know it wasn't any more than a game. I hope it wasn't too hot outside.

katieoz said...

I totally cried at first, now it's become kind of a funny story. I think I would have been in full-blown panic mode if it had been hot. It was a cool and rainy day though. Thankfully it all happened after the downpour of rain showers.

Todd and Chelsie said...

Oh Katie...how crazy!!! That must have been so scary. Now since everything has turned out ok and it is all over you can just laugh it off! I am so glad there were a bunch of people who were able to help you out.

I also let Joel play with my keys and it has never occurred to me that he could possibly press the lock button!!

miranda said...

I can't believe that. I would have been in tears as well. I'm so glad it all worked out ok. and that you had company while you waited.

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting