1.29.2010

Baby Steps

Maybe I'm not ready to let go of the comfort that a chocolate chip cookie gives me. But, I have finally gotten my butt off the couch a few times a week and have begun to move. The past 18 months of my life I have been wrapped up in the amazing/depressing rollercoaster of figuring out how to be a mom. In that time, I have somehow lost all of my muscle tone and any sort of endurance while gaining a few friends on my thighs and stomach and everywhere else. I have NEVER been this out of shape. It's been pretty easy to beat myself up about it too. Especially when I stepped on the scale. *embarrassing*

But, this self-inflicted shame has to end so that I can actually do something to improve my life. And I am having to fight every part of me that wants to jump "all in". I have (MANY times) done the extreme work out and diet before and lost a lot. However, I (as the stereotype goes) also gain it all back. I struggle with all-or-nothing mentality. Either I have to beat myself to death doing something or I refuse to do anything at all. For the past 18 months the latter has been what I've chosen, when it comes to my own health and well-being. Now, I am giving myself permission...actually commanding myself to take one step at a time...even if that means that I don't feel as accomplished at first. So....I mall walk. Three times a week for approximately 45 minutes each session. And I try to do it quickly.

I can't do the gym, but I can do the mall. You would never believe how the mall teems with life at 8:30 in the morning. I can usually spot about 10 tables full of older people, rotating in/out playing cards with their friends, then taking a break to mall-walk; mommy boot camps that function right in the middle of the mall and circulate the whole route of the mall; people coming in to get started with their 9-5 jobs. It's a fun place to be and meet people.

So that's where I'm at. My goal....to move. I need to MOVE my body! I can't help but want to jump in on one of the mommy boot camps. Maybe someday.

5 comments:

kranberrys said...

Right there with you! Next Friday I am heading in to get a gym membership...Zhumba classes here I come. I have spent the past 3 years...not doing anything for me and it's time...I don't want to be a fat, no energy person anymore... Keep me posted and I will keep you posted! Love you!

katieoz said...

Karissa, I have always loved you for saying it like it is. I, too, do not want to be a fat, no energy person! *high five* let's do it!

Jessi said...

I hear ya! I swear everything went to the backburner when our son was born. I feel like I am finally ready to get out and move! Today I am attempting my first yoga class in like 2 years. Not gonna lie - I am so nervous! I am so out of shape and most likely will collapse on my yoga mat. Oh well... have to start somewhere! Glad to know I am not the only one!

Lisa said...

I was and am right there with you!! After realizing that I couldn't use the "baby weight" excuse anymore, and seeing my mom in not-so-good health... I pulled out the running shoes and started. It was a humbling start... but, 2 years later, I'm 5 lbs from my weight loss goal and feel SO MUCH BETTER! You can do it!! Go, girl, GO!!

h. butler said...

u r awesome! i too am trying to get rid of my baby pounds, it's hard! keep at it! xoxo

ps - so fun to hang out w/ you the other day:)

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting