2.21.2010

I'll Fly Away

This morning, at the end of our church service, the band broke out into a pretty sweet folksy/bluegrassy rendition of a classic old hymn:  

I'll Fly Away

Some glad morning when this life is o'er,
I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

[Chorus]
I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away; (in the morning)
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

When the shadows of this life have gone,
I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

Just a few more weary days and then,
I'll fly away;
To a land where joy shall never end,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

I've known and sung this song since I was a wee little girl.  Sometimes it seemed a little depressing...like we were focusing on wanting to just die and get this life over with.  However, this morning I really felt a new beauty to it and in the midst of the joyous and celebratory song, and seeing cool Portland people almost unable to resist dancing, I burst into tears.  And I couldn't stop crying!  My heart was overwhelmed because I couldn't stop thinking of my grandmother, who had her 2nd heart attack (in 3 months) yesterday...and we all knew she was on the brink of the end of her life here.  Something about that song, today, resonated in my heart...for her.  

And she did fly.  My grandmother, passed away peacefully at the age of 89, surrounded by her children, this afternoon.  The last few months of her remarkable life were filled with cards (at least one almost every day!), phone calls, and people coming to see her.  She was (and is) a loved woman.  I can only hope to have so many people in my life that care about me the way she was cared for. I'm so grateful Claire got a chance to meet her, though she'll never remember...it was a gift.

Claire first met her Great-Grandma Woodward back in July 2009, when she was almost a year old.

She got to see her again, in December.  There was lots of snuggle time with these two :) Claire really liked her Great Grandma!

8 comments:

wendy said...

Katie, I love this! What a beautiful life lived and remembered and how wonderful to be "like a bird from prison bars...to a land where joy shall never end". Oh, I look forward to that day! I have been singing that song all day since the service. I wish I'd seen you there :)

Betherann said...

I love that hymn, especially when it's a little funky and bluegrassy. I'm sorry to hear that your grandma passed away, but I'm glad was not a completely sorrowful thing. It sounds like she LIVED!

~*Beth Butler*~ said...

Awww! Sweet pictures ;o)

Anonymous said...

That song brings a tear to my eye nearly every time I hear it now. The first Sunday back to church after my mom passed, we sang that song. I found myself laughing and crying all at the same time. You see we play it the same bluegrassy way and I knew my mom would have hated it. She didn't like anyone to mess with the hymns. But I knew that now she was in the land where joy will never end and she probably loves the song now.
So glad that you have photos of Claire with her. You'll be able to share all your wonderful memories of her.

Mom O

kranberrys said...

So happy she is home with her Saviour! Awww sweet peace and rest... she was a sweet lady... I will be praying for God's comfort to you guys at this time ...luv ya Katie

~*Beth Butler*~ said...

btw, this is for you: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2010/02/22/the-birth/

;)

miranda said...

so sorry about your grandma. But how special that Claire got to meet her. What special pictures of them together.

The Pond Pad said...

Thanks so much for sharing- I am sorry to hear about your grandma- let me know if I can help.

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting