1.09.2011

I Guess It's a Resolution?

But, not necessarily a New Year's resolution. A couple months ago I was sharing with a friend about my struggle to be fit/active/treat my body with the proper respect it is due solely because God created it. Granted, He is not responsible for how fat and out-of-shape it is right now. That's pretty much my fault. It's one of my biggest struggles and has been, since I was a child.

Debbie jumped into action, wanting to (I think) offer some way to help. So, she invited me to be part of her relay team, the Sole Sisters. There's this little thing called the Hood/Portland-to-Coast Walk Relay, where you're on a team of 12 (total) individuals and you each walk two-legs, each leg is around 5-6 miles each...over a period of 24 hours. And it all ends with a big party at the beach! Instead of dreading this prospect, my chest actually swelled with excitement. I basically said, "yes" right then and there but told her I'd think about it for a couple days and get back to her.


Anyway, it's time to start training. I love having a goal, something that I'm working towards that will motivate me. Last week I went for a 2.5 mile walk and tried to keep the pace up. We have this great fitness trail that curves around the perimeter of a golf course, and the terrain is pretty varied. I realized, during that walk that, 1.) I am a bit out of shape, and 2.) I need new walking shoes...as evidenced by the screaming (meta)tarsals on my left foot.

So, as soon as I have the money saved up (at the end of this month) I am going to take a little trip to Fit Right Northwest, have a gait analysis (thought I pretty much know my issue is flat feet/overpronation) and pay for a *good* pair of walking shoes. Then, I'm going to join my local community center so that I have no excuse NOT to train on soggy days (which we have a few of around here).

As inactive as I am right now, I do have these little dreams that I could, someday, in maybe another galaxy, be an athlete. I never say that to anyone. In fact, if you're reading this, you're one of the first to know this about me. Walking a 127-mile relay this year, maybe running the 197-mile relay next year...and my ultimate dream: to complete a triathlon in qualifying time sometime in my 30th year of life.

But it scares me to say these things. Maybe because I don't think I can do it. Or worse, that I can but just *won't*. That's why I am going to stick with today and keep my eyes on August 26/27. That's all I can do, right now. And I hope to do it with gusto!

4 comments:

Sue from Oregon said...

I wish you luck! I will be watching and waiting for an update...I need the inspiration!

Beth @ To the Fullest said...

Woohoo! Get it, girl! :)

Don't give up on your "little dreams" of being an athlete. Take it step by step by step, and you'll get there. Can't wait to read about your journey!

mom o said...

Do they have all the team members they need? That sounds so cool. I need to start training too, as I want to do a half marathon, possibly in July. Let me know if another team member is needed and you don't mind an "old lady"

kranberrys said...

CHEERING YOU ON! =)

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting